Please remove the nospam bit before using this address.
(It is put there to confuse spammers, whose machines
automatically scan websites to find new recipients.)
Direct Democracy Campaign
The Direct Democracy Proposals
1. The Popular Initiative: - If 2% of the electorate sign a petition demanding a course of action on some new matter not yet before Parliament, then government must hold a binding referendum on that course of action.
2. The Popular Veto: - If 1% of the electorate sign a petition challenging any legislation currently under discussion in Parliament, then a binding referendum must be held on that legislation.
3. The Parliamentary Initiative: - A simple majority of members of the House of Commons may call a referendum on any matter not currently being dealt with under 1 or 2 above. In addition, governments will be obliged to automatically put any major constitutional measures to a referendum.
4. Local Initiatives: - Equivalent procedures should be initiated at all lower levels of government.
5. Electronic democracy: - In order to make voting easier, the era of pencil crosses on paper must give way to an age of secure electronic communication.
'Let the people decide..............'